Now this is my crazy creation. I was inspired to make this beast when I came across the amazing website that is ‘Pimp That Snack‘. There are some incredible things on there, but of course, the thing that caught my eye was this Giant Jaffa Cake!
Here is a step-by-step photo guide for you to follow and join in with this madness! Hmmm… what to try next? 😛
(Feeds approximately 12 people)
12 oz self raising flour
12 oz caster sugar
12 oz unsalted butter
1 tsp baking powder
2 packets of jelly
1 pint of water (or half of what is required on the jelly packet instructions)
1 tbsp Orange extract
200g dark covering chocolate (or whole large bar)
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Cream the butter and sugar together and then add in the flour, baking powder and eggs to make the basic sponge mixture.
2) Grease a large oven proof frying pan with a curved base (or whatever you have available). Pour the cake mixture into the pan, and put the pan in oven for approximately 25 mins. Once the cake is done, turn the oven down to the lowest heat and leave cake in there for an extra 5 or 10mins for the base to become slightly harder to support the jelly.
3) Make up two packets of orange jelly with 1 pint of boiling water, (or half the amount recommended on the packet) and add the orange extract. Let it cool then set in the fridge.
4) Gently prise the cake from the pan and leave to cool. Turn the jelly onto a plate and slide it onto the cake.
5) Melt the chocolate in the microwave (or your preferred method), stir gently to ensure an even texture.
6) Using a silicon spatula, carefully apply the slightly cool, melted chocolate over the entire surface of the cake. To ensure the jelly doesn’t start to break away or melt, cover the chocolate from the edges of the sponge, gradually working your way up.
7) Put the cake into the fridge and for the chocolate shell to harden. Reheat the remaining chocolate and use a warm knife to carefully score parallel lines across the surface of the chocolate. With the remaining chocolate dribble three lines in the opposite direction, just like the original Jaffa Cake!
8 ) ENJOY WITH FRIENDS (because you really can’t eat this on your own – it is too big)! 😛