This is a little overdue, but I had the pleasure of attending a wonderful #LDNBloggerPicnic organised by the lovely Aftab back in May. When I was thinking about what to bring to the picnic, I knew it would be easier to just buy something from the shops, but I wanted to make something instead.
I decided to go with the savoury option, as I was sure people would be bringing plenty of sweet stuff. So I made my popular Gougères (Cheese Puffs) which went down a treat! And I made a big batch of these sweetcorn and courgette pancakes using a recipe from the BBC food website, which I added my own twist to.
Ingredients (serves 4 – 6 people):
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garlic granules
2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 (approx. 200g) medium courgettes, grated
1 can (325g) sweetcorn
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp dill (dried or fresh)
1) In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add to the dry mixture and mix until fully combined. You may have to use a whisk to make sure there aren’t any lumps.
3) Take a big handful of your grated courgettes and squeeze as much of the water out as you can over the sink. Then place the courgettes in another bowl and use your fingers to gently separate the clumps into strands again. Repeat with the remainder of the courgettes, add the sweetcorn and give it a mix.
4) Add half the batter to the courgette and sweetcorn mixture, give it a mix and then add as much batter as you need for it to bind, but making sure it’s not too loose. This may mean you don’t end up using all of the batter.
5) Heat 1 – 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Place spoonfuls of the mixture in the pan to form mini pancakes – I was able to do four at a time. Cook on each side for 2 – 3 minutes, or until it’s brown all over.
To make the lemon & dill mayonnaise:
Combine the mayo, lemon juice, zest, dill and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste and give it a good mix. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.